Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What kind of things/activities should I do IN college to help me get into grad school or get a job later?

I will be going for business admin with a focus in finance. I am going to try to do an internship each summer to get experience, and I am going to possibly minor in Spanish to make myself more employable, but what else can I do? I was thinking about joining a sorority or something. Any advice would be great.

What kind of things/activities should I do IN college to help me get into grad school or get a job later?
You're definitely on the right track! The best things to do, aside from those interships would be to get involved in campus - especially in related fields. Most colleges have many organizations you can get involved in, business club, finance club, greek/honors societies for students in business/finance with exceptional GPAs. Even outside of that though, join other clubs that interest you! Spanish club, a sorority (I love mine!), Campus Activities board, or whatever, they all look goode on your resume. And every club is required to have a treasurer! Join freshman year especially, and work towards getting treasurer positions in some of these (though it's a BIG job, which is why it looks so good to employers).





Especially try for positions with business/finance groups, campus activities board (and if your college is like mine, that's not only a big, important position, it also is a paying position), and a sorority (deals with a lot of money) if you find one you want to join. And if not treasurer, fundraising chairs would look good on your resume too.





Other than campus involvement, keep in contact with advisors and professors in your college (even if you are put into the non-specific college to begin with) so you can glean some of their wisdom. And, one idea you could always play around with - is starting your own business. Even a small time button making business, or something on a bigger scale, shows a lot of initiative - and experience - on all those applications. They would definitely make you stand out.





Good luck! :)


Elle


http://get-into-college.blogspot.com/

stalk

No comments:

Post a Comment